Re: mufflers

> >I've developed a hole in mine in my 83 Spider.  I also remember a
> >list  member from the Netherlands saying it was a common practice over
> >there for reasons of economy.  I also remember threads saying that
> >performance would suffer by eliminating one or more mufflers.  I'm
> >confused about whether I should pursue eliminating the middle muffler
> >and would appreciate any opinions.  Thanks.
>
> Hello, I am from the netherlands. It is certainly no common practice to
> remove the middle muffler. Taking away the last muffler is common practice
> in the netherlands. (6 out of 10 Giulias will have this feature). In this
> case this muffler is replaced with a straight pipe, (called a brulpijp).
> It doesnot seem te change the performance, although your alfa seems a lot
> faster because of the better Alfa Sound afterwards.

It is definetely a cheaper alternative if you have to replace the last
muffler for a straight pipe. Hey, we arent dutch for nothing! :)
We have a reputation to live up to! :)

But seriously, some people claim better performance (Never heard of performance
decrease by removing a muffler) but this is most likely due to the sound
effect Hans describes. Allthough I have the impression that there seems
to be less resistence in the accelerator pedal when the rear muffler
is removed. The same effect if you remove the air-filter: less
resistence when pressing the accelerator pedal with a running engine.
But does this mean there is more power available from the engine?
It seems like the engine revs faster then before. Any opinions on this?

I understood that K&N Filters (or any other open filter) were based on this
principle. But has anybody seen any hard evidence on this?

With open filters it also gets the 'sound'-effect even more so that maybe
the case here as well when people claim higher performance.

> Soon there will be some
> samples of 'brulpijp' music on our home page. So be a little patience.

Great idea!!

Mark "yes I do have a brulpijp as well" Springer
:-)

> Greetings,
> Hans de Kok
> chairman Dutch Alfa Romeo Spider Register
> www.knoware.nl/users/spider

- --
********* http://www.sara.nl/mark ***********
Mark Springer    O==V==O    mspringer@domain.elided