164: Bushings and mounts

Ciao,
Glad someone was interested and I'll send this to the AD as well.
You wrote about the Superflex bushing:

> I also like the bushings and turn in is better, for sure. Ha! Now the
> rear feels a bit sloppy in comparison...

Yes I felt the same and had a look at the rear control arms front bushings (or
what ever it's called). When I removed the anti sway bar I could push the arm
in and out and the bushing seemed really busted. I have found specially made
plastic bushings for this and planning on installing them before the next track
event in the beginning of October.

They look really nice, white polyurethane with an inner and outer metallic
sleeve, but cost a lot more than the Superflex bushings. Probably won't save me
any money but will last forever.

And regarding the motor mounts:

> Why did you change the rear mount and how did you determine the mount
> needed to be change?

That is a question I have asked a couple of times my self and still have no
good
answer to. Putting a jack under the oil sump and slightly raise the motor works
to determine the condition of the front mounts but probably not for the rear
one.
I suppose you should look for too much space (play) in it (if it's hanging down
to much). At least the left front mount is filled with some oil or fluid that
can trickle out and the others might have the same design.
My right front mount was busted, the rubber part came loos from the mount, and
I was recommended to change the rear at the same time. My mechanic told me that
if it's bad the front mount will soon break again.
When I got it out I couldn't se anything wrong with it and it is probably still
o.k. I swapped to the new mount anyway and the play is now slightly less.

Good luck with your 164.

/Peter Greis
164 V6 -90
CAR Sweden