Re: 164 vibrations

In a message dated 9/12/98 6:04:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bernie
Zelazny writes:

<< I believe it was indicated these were Yokohama AVSi tires. I agree
 with Fred De Matteo who posted earlier that the vibrations until the
 tires are warmed up is caused by an out-of-round condition of the
 tire's belts from sitting in a cool or cold environment for an
 extended period of time (i.e. overnight).

 This will *NOT* occur if the car sits for the same amount of time in a
 warm/hot environment or on hot pavement because the tire's belts stay
 warm and do not create the temporary flat spots.

I,too, used to think that this was the problem.  However, it is interesting
that the 164 is the only car I've ever owned which has exhibited this
characteristic and it is
also such a common complaint among other 164 owners.  The fact that it has
been a consistent problem on my car despite three different brands and sizes
of tire and three different brands and sizes of wheels (15x6, 15x7, 16x7.5)
increases my skepticism.  Furthermore, when I put the exact same set of wheels
and tires on my GTV6 for over a week, it had virtually no  vibration.

Although I've re-bushed much of the suspension, some of the remaining bushings
appear to be a bit tired so I will replace them next.

Bob Boniface

84 GTV6 (Pretty Hate Machine)
91 164L 5spd (94,000 mile daily driver)
60 Giulietta Spider