deleting the middle muffler on a Spider

I remember a thread a while ago about deleting the middle muffler.
I've developed a hole in mine in my 83 Spider.  I also remember a
list  member from the Netherlands saying it was a common practice over
there for reasons of economy.  I also remember threads saying that
performance would suffer by eliminating one or more mufflers.  I'm
confused about whether I should pursue eliminating the middle muffler
and would appreciate any opinions.  Thanks.

Ed
- --
Ed Overly                     Voice: 703-620-8990
eoverly@domain.elided       Fax: 703-620-0913