RE: krusty & legal issues, part 3

At 04:24 PM 9/15/98 +0930, Ben Dixon wrote:
>Richard - Could you let us know what type of message caused the offence (ie,
>bad advice, offensive language, flames, etc...)  so we know to be a bit
>careful in future.  No specifics required.

right at the moment, i'm not sure i even want to explain that much.

>Also, how would Non-USA digest members make contributions to the Save Krusty
>Fund?

that's tricky. there is a group down your way that is putting something
together (i got an email on it last night.) perhaps they'll post on how to
contact them...

>and what are "d/b/a" and "LLC" ? (sorry about my ignorance here...)

d/b/a == "doing business as"
this just means that i've filed paperwork in my local county stating that i
am doing business under the name, and permits me to open a bank account
with that name on it, and so forth. legally a d/b/a is just me, with no
legal insulation.

LLC == "Limited Liability Company"
relatively new in the US, it is a kind of partnership which if properly set
up affords some legal insulation between the business and its partners (in
the case of Krusty, there'd be one partner, me, for now.) it's somewhat
similar to what is called an "S Corporation" in the US, but differs in a
couple of ways (an S Corporation is a stock company, an LLC is a
partnership, for example.)

richard