164 Front End Vibration

Bob Boniface wrote about frustration with front end vibration on his 164.
I've had three 164s, and experienced the phenomenon with all of them. My
current 164S had the problem when I bought it. I re-balanced the front
wheels and the vibration went away for several months, then returned. I
moved the front wheels to the rear, and the problem stopped. In August, it
began again. I re-balanced the front wheels, and it went away for a while.
Now it's back!

I've had the steering, bearings, most front suspension parts and
differential out of the car and checked- they all meet spec. No uneven tire
wear, no caster/camber problems. Obviously, I'm missing something. Anyone
else had good luck stopping this annoying problem?

Rich Lasner
Mill Valley CA
92 164S (90K daily driver)