164 No Start

My 164 has trouble starting.  The starter turns the motor just fine.  Sometimes it seems to start but dies immediately.  Other times if I can start it and get the RPMs over about 3000 it seems to run okay, but dies if I let the RPMs fall below about 2000.

Since it runs okay above 3000 RPMs I am, for the moment, ruling out fuel or spark problems.

I am concentrating on the air flow meter.  When I disconnect the airflow meter electronic connector the car's behavior is unchanged, perhaps it starts a little easier.

According to the manuals description of the air flow meter:
- - there should be 5 Ohms between pins 2 and 4, I read 35 Ohms.
- - there should be 400 Ohms between pins 3 and 4 of the air flow meter,
  I read 350 Ohms.
- - resistance should vary continuosly as the flap is moved.  I have a
  digital Ohmeter, so it is hard to tell, but it appears that sometimes
  the resistance dips a bit lower as the flap is progressively opened
  (the resistance does not increase monotonically).

There are no fault codes stored in the computer.  The large rubber intake manifold hose does not appear to have any cracks.

If the air flow meter was cheap, I would replace it and see what happens.

Any ideas, thanks,

Gus Baldauf
1991 164L
1976 Spyder