RE: Wheel paint

Bruce Giller asks:
> Is it worth it to get Eastwood's brand of paint for
> wheels or will Krylon do just as good as job??

I just refinished a set of MOMO Vega wheels and I think =

it is worth it to use the Eastwood paint. There paint is =

about $7US vs. $3 for Krylon. Considering the effort, why =

take a chance for $4? So unless you're in a hurry, I'd go =

with the Eastwood paint. =

I used Eastwood's silver, charcoal, and clear coat =

paints on the MOMOs. The wheels looked great after applying =

the silver and charcoal paints. I actually think the clear =

coat paint made the wheels look a bit shinier than I wanted, =

but I wanted to protect them, so I used it anyway. Even with =

the clear coat the wheels look very good. For a description =

of the refinishing process I used with pictures, see my article =

"Rich's Wheel Resto" at:

   http://www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti

Select "Feature stories," and "Steering, suspension."

One thing Eastwood sells that is easy to make is an overspray =

shield. This prevents paint from staining the tire. (Obviously, =

if the tire is not mounted on the wheel this isn't a problem.)
I made an overspray shield from several thin aluminum strips to =

make a strip about 4" x 48" (assemble with masking tape). The ends =

of the 48" strip are then taped together to make a large cylinder that fi=
ts =

tightly around the rim of the wheel. So any overspray from painting =

the wheels ends up on the cylinder, rather than on the tire.

Good luck,

Rich
'87 Milano
'78 Spider