Maroons & polished primers

Les Singh adds on the color thread "Ignore this iif you have mentioned this
earlier but there were two other colours - maroon (deep wine, burgundy) much
darker than the plum that you mentioned, and a nondescript grey that looked
for all the world like polished primer coat!

The AR 516 which was on the list as Faggio - beech in d'A-T is called Faggio -
Dark Maroon in the Alfa Body Shop Manual, Ambassador Maroon as a Berlina color
on a 1972 USA chip chart which I have (but not listed as a GT Veloce color on
that USA chip chart, which may have been specific for this market) and is also
listed as Aubergine (which I think is eggplant?) on a 1978 Sprint Veloce
(Alfetta) chip chart I have. Possibly the maroon Les is thinking of? Possibly
not. The Body Shop Manual also has an AR 818 bruno fondo - maroon, and one of
my spare Sport Sedans has a very dark chocolate/maroon called Testa di Moro,
Moor's head, sorry, don't have the number handy. Unless you have the chips in
open sunlight there is a certain amount of interpolation-

The "nondescript grey that looked for all the world like polished primer coat"
might be the AR 716 grigio grafite- graphite grey or the AR 736 antracite
Inglese- English anthracite (called Antracite Inglese-English Graphite in the
BSM ) or, less likely, the AR 735 grigio indaco- indigo grey (called grigio
indaco- grey in the BSM )which should be a more blue-grey. The only other
greys I have seen references to which are not characterized as metalics are
740, 742, and 745 but they have names which don't tell much- slate grey,
Vesuvio grey, Somma grey- and I (being color-blind, as well as rooted in hot-
rod culture) have always been partial to polished primer coats but they range
from near-white to near-black, so verbal descriptions are no substitute for
chips, and the list was intended only as a starting place-

Onward!

John