typology

Tony Lupton adds to my list of types in AD7-086:

Tipo 901 = Alfasud sedans (even those with three and five doors)
Tipo 902 = Alfasud Sprints and Alfa Sprints (not the US Alfettas)

Cripes sake, Tony, if ya gotta one-up everybody, top this!

Tipo 920 = Arna

(The "Tipos" go way back, I was really just matching David Hanley's prior
list.)

I thought I might be able to match Tony by giving different numbers for the
enhanced version, but the Arna ti, distinguished from the base Arna by
spoilers, fog lamps, black wheel trim, a right-hand rear view mirror, better
seats and an electric rev counter (!) as well as the engine from the Alfasud
ti and Sprint, uses the sane Tipo 920 designation as the plain Arna. Shucks.

TRIVIA ALERT! All the pre-sud International Touring variants were T.I.s,
capitalized and perioded, while the 'Suds and Arnas (rinsewaters?) were ti
without periods or caps. The next allusion to that particular source of
ineffable panache is the 146, which is a TI capitalized but without periods.
Hmmmm- no, scratch that line of banter.

Tony goes on to ask " Which brings me to another, not strictly Alfa-related,
point. How can you possibly have a 3-door, or 5-door sedan? Or the Rover
4-door coupe of the (?)70s. For that matter, are the Alfa GTV(eloce)s really
coupes if they have rear seats/upoiholstered parcel shelfes (and the 116s
dared to have a hatch)?"

Rover said, at the time, of their four door coupe, with a straight face, that
"coupe" is from "couper, diviser avec un instrument tranchant", or "chop-top"
in the Californian patois, and that is what they had done. The Petit Larouse
indeed says that a coupe is a voiture closed of four wheels, generalment of
two places. Alfa seems to avoid the coupe term by calling things the things
Sprints, GT Veloces, etc. The whole sedans, berlines, coaches bit gets
complicated and besides, nobody rilly cares.

But Tony- "upoiholstered shelfes" ?

John