re: Tire Size for 5.5in. Rims

In AD 7/82, WB Peale wrote:
>I've heard many good
>things about the Yokohama AVSi tire, but as far as I can tell, the only
>14in. size that might work is a 195/65.  Is this too wide for the 5.5in.
>rims?  My friendly tire dealer assures me that they will be fine, but I
>wanted to get a second opinion.

There's no problem whatsoever in using 195/65-14s on 5.5" wheels on a GTV.
I have AVSis in that size on 5.5" alloys on mine and have only good things
to say.

>Otherwise, I can try to find a decent
>185/70 tire, but there don't seem to be many out there.

True.  70-series tires are a little old-fashioned now, and it's hard to
find performance tires in that size.  Within a few years they'll be as hard
to find as 165/80-14s.

Dana Loomis