Re: Tire Size for 5.5in. Rims

>I am hoping to get some advice on tire sizes.  I am replacing a set of 6x14
>alloys with the stock 5.5x14 steel wheels on my GTV.  I've heard many good
>things about the Yokohama AVSi tire, but as far as I can tell, the only
>14in. size that might work is a 195/65.  Is this too wide for the 5.5in.
>rims?  My friendly tire dealer assures me that they will be fine, but I
>wanted to get a second opinion.  Otherwise, I can try to find a decent
>185/70 tire, but there don't seem to be many out there.  Any suggestions or
>experiences would be appreciated.

I am using 195/65 on 5.5x14 wheels on my GTV and there are no problems
whatsoever even with the lowered suspension. They are "better" in that I
now don't hit all the judder bars with the oil pan as I used to when
running 195/60s. In the past I have used sizes up to 195/70x14 and even
15-inch195/60s on widened Giulia wheels - no problems. The GTV wheel arches
will tolerate bigger/wider tyres. The Berlina on the other hand has limited
room under the rear wheel arches and those same 195/60x15 tyre/wheel
combination would not fit until I flared the fenders/guards. Others have
fitted 205/55x14 and one guy had massive 205/70x14 on his GTV for a while
although the handling left a lot to be desired. They also looked gross ....
oops... done it again! Now someone will tell me that they like the look of
tractor tyres on GTVs..

Les