Emergency AC Fix for 164

Ken Stevenson wrote:
<<<The stepper motor moves a rod that passes through the interior firewall
a lever that moves the hot/cold flap.  With a long screw-driver, move the
lever to the opposite extreme. Stuff a rag in to hold in place. Now you have
cold air or hot air, your choice. On the 164 there is no heater control
valve,
the heater core is always hot.>>

 I took a long screw driver, wedged it between the firewall and the
rod/lever assembly as Ken suggested above. I also unplugged the stepper
motor power supply, located behind the small panel in the glovebox, to keep
the motor from grinding away at the gears. After some careful prodding (the
assembly was harder to move than I expected), the rod pulled the
distribution drum to the AC position. I now have AC and vent air back.
Thanks for the tip. I'm waiting to see if the gears I ordered from England
will fit my US spec stepper motors. But at least, I'll stay cool until they
arrive.

Rich Lasner
Mill Valley CA
92 164S