RIVETS

I signed off with...
>1979 Alfetta GTV 2000
>(with modified body - all pop rivets that I have found
                                          have been replaced by screws! :-)
Then Graham Hilder wrote...
>Good man!  That's the spirit!  Let's carry on the fight to make our
>Alfettas into the cars they should be!

Then Thomas wrote...
>OH THE SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You car is no longer concours nor
even"CORRECT""
>slander and BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!! It is with great pride that I go tho the
>hardware store each time and purchase the most correct rivet I can find to
>maintain the factory engineered qualities of the UGLY LITTLE
OUTCASTALFETTA.
>Every rivet is replace by a new rivet and every old one is drilled out
with
>a bitch and a curse!!!!!!! I am PROUD !!!!!!!!!!!! Also probably mentally
>unbalanced.

One thing missing from the discussion about rivets so far, is that they are
a primary cause of corrosion. The problem is due to Alfa Romeo using
Aluminium (Aluminum) rivets in a steel body. I guess the plan was to design
them to rust as fast as possible, so we would have to buy another one as
fast as possible! Structural integrity doesn't really come into the
argument,
as all the body panels are welded together.

As to the grill, these can be quickly attached using "speed nuts", (as used
in the installation of car speakers). Bumper bars - nyloc nuts and
stainless
steel bolts. Front wheel splash guards - four self-tappers. The list goes
on...

As for the Alfetta being ugly - bite your tongue! :-)   I prefer the looks
of the
Alfetta coupes to the 105 GTVs.  I guess this can be summed up in two
ways: 1. it takes all kinds to make the world;
            2. beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards,
Robert Jones,
1979 Alfetta GTV 2000
Sydney, Australia