was; Track control arm bushes for 164

In message , "Dr M.G. Salter" <mcmikey@domain.elided> writes
>I have just had my car through the U.K. Mot test and it has failed
>because of a worn track control arm bush. This is the bush that mounts
>the wishbone to the chasis. My local Alfa dealer says that you cannot
>get the bush on its own, you have to buy the whol suspension piece,
>GBP100 !!!!! Does anyone know if we can get the bush on its own?
>It seems to have worn because of oil dripping onto it , probably from
>the cambelt tensioner, do I need to change this urgently or can it wait
>600 for the 108000 service?
I beleive that the bush needs to be pressed in so that the bush alone
may be no use without the press stuff.
The tensioner strangely has more tension without oil pressure so the
dripping you are noticing is not losing you any tension.
The oil getting onto the cam belt however will cause it to deteriorate
because the material is intolerant of these chemicals. They should be
kept well away from the belt, what would you be doing with oil or water
down there anyway? #end sarcasm
If your belt goes for any reason it is a BIG problem, AMHIK. If you take
the bottom left cambelt cover off, you can see the tensioner and this
should let you check if it is leaking.
Because nobody can tell the state of a cambelt it is good insurance to
change it, for obvious reasons, hell I even change the valves every
eighteen months in mine!
- --
Jonathan Coates
33 wagon daily driver