Re: 164S Heater Working Great In 100F+ Heat

Ken Stevenson wrote:

<<<The stepper motor moves a rod that passes through the interior firewall to
a lever that moves the hot/cold flap.  With a long screw-driver, move the
lever to the opposite extreme. Stuff a rag in to hold in place. Now you have
cold air or hot air, your choice. On the 164 there is no heater control valve,
the heater core is always hot.>>

That lever broke on my car too, and I managed to repair it by glueing a tin
cap onto the end of the lever, complete with stub for the control wire to fit.

It is all so deep down the hole beside the A/C airbox that I had to make a
tool to do the job from some 1" x 3/16ths steel.  Jaws one end operated by
wire pulled by handle the other end.  Heat/cold works fine since (pace
gremlins!).

Just in case that rag is still under your hood  :-)

Regards

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/tonywoodtw/";>Tony Wood</A>
England
'89 164 3.0 V6
appalling 3rd angle graphics follow:

cap fits in jaws here      |

mmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmOm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmOm

|            __O/ _
                   handle
jaws