new US import law?

A normally very conservative local Alfa dealer mentioned that he'd heard
about some new legislation which would essentially reopen the "gray"
market of the early '80s.  Since I was whining about the
reliability/parts prices of my Audi Quattro, he particularly referred to
the possibility of bringing over the all wheel drive 164 "in the next 6
months".

He was aware of the "Ralph Lauren" law written up in AutoWeek last month
which just allows importation, not use on public roads.

Fact? Fiction?

Robert Hardwick, seattle usa