Now you got me dander up!

In AD #72 John Hertzman wrote:
>From a purely formal standpoint I have never been comfortable with the
stepnose.  There is nothing at all wrong with the front end, and nothing at
all wrong with the rear end, but (as on the Renault Caravelle, which was
angular at the front and rounded at the back) they contradict each other,
whichever end is right the other is wrong.

Every one is entitled to his/her opinion (whenever a posting starts like
this you *know* there is going to be trouble!), BUT... I most heartily
disagree with Mr. Hertzman. The stepnose is the purest of the line (and the
pre '67 with its smaller rear wheel openings is purer still). It conveys a
sense of grace and power that is only diluted in later versions. Giorgetto
Giugiaro was at his peak when he designed this car, and it is a
masterpiece. And just as you would not condone the alteration of any other
more traditional work of art neither would I call the attempts to "update"
or "modernize" the maestro's finest an improvement. You can quibble about
the pedals, the dash, the bumpers (well, maybe) or the seats, but not the
lines of this car. And as for the reference to the Caravelle, with which it
shares no line, curve or concept... please!

Honestly I am not so smitten that I don't understand how someone can prefer
a later GTV to a Stepnose, if it works better for you great, but to say
that the original design is wrong makes me wonder. The steped nose
treatment is odd, it is beautiful and it is bold. Just the kind of thing
you would hire a world class designer to come up with. And it complements
the rear of the car in a natural and beautiful way. I hope I am not alone
here, anybody else want to defend this car?

Eric Sands
'66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
et al