Alternator for 101 Spiders

Bob McKeown asked:
>Has any digester out there ever fitted an alternator to a 101 car? I'd like
> to put one on my racecar, but there is very limited room.
>I've found a Datsun B210 unit that is as small as any alternator I've ever
>seen, but even it is too large in diameter and interferes with the steering
>box. Ideas?

Bob:

I haven't done it, but the June '98 issue of "Alfa Bits", the newsletter of
the Oregon chapter of AROC has an article by Glenn Herz on this very
subject.  If you can't get your hands on a hardcopy, you might try the
AROO website (www.alfaclub.org).

In summarizing Glenn's article, he recommends an alternator off an '85
Suzuki Sprint with a 995cc engine, for Normales and Duettos.  Unfortunately,
the article doesn't mention the make/model of the alternator, nor what
other years/models of Suzuki used the same part.  Sounded like he got the
one he used from a junkyard, and didn't do a lot more research on alternate
alternator sources.

Glenn's article goes on to say that Veloces have even less space, given
the way the engine is canted toward the steering column to accommodate
the airbox.  His recommendation for Veloces is a Nippondenso #100211-1630.
Additionally, he had to grind some material from two places on the
Nippondenso alternator in order to clear the head and the steering box.

Let us know how this all works for you!

Jay Mackro