Re: Throttle

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Doug Kunzman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was driving into Washington, D.C, over the memorial bridge with
> Monica'= s apartment on my right, and all of sudden my throttle was
> stuck open while shifting, and it proceeded=
> to peg the engine at around 8300 RPM.

Doug, you've got it all wrong.  If you are entering D.C. on the Memorial
bridge, Monica's place is on your left.  No idea whether she can help with
a stuck throttle.

>I had to restart the engine to unstick the throttle.  I=
>
> have examined all of the linkages and they seem fine, and have replaced
> (with a used from a parts car) the throttle return
> spring, that attaches to the body.  That spring appeared slightly
> streached.  I have never heard
> of this problem.  Has anyone had a similar problem ? I was thinking of
> replacing all of the
> plastic pieces at the end of the throttle rods, the rubber bushing for th=
> rod, and try and get a new
> spring.  Does this seem like a good approach ? Has anyone had this proble=
> before  and what was the solution ? I would like hear what it is.

You're on the right track.  When you install the new rod ends, it's a good
idea to dip them in some grease before snapping them into place.  Ordinary
bearing grease is fine; I prefer the Mobile 1 synthetic grease.

Good luck.

	-David

David Tallerico
Silver Spring, MD