Re: Euro/US parking lights for "Bertones"

Gary Stark remembers having and seeing, in Australia, British cars with a
parking-light/city light bulb within the headlight, as I had mentioned in
reply to Neil Cotie's problem of meeting German rules with a 'Murrican
"Bertone".

Gary also refers to having "seen it in a slightly modified version too, where
the headlamp was a sealed beam type, with an 'opening' in the reflector
material only - the unit remained sealed." At first reading I thought he was
talking about what I have, a bonded reflector-cum-lens unit, (Carello 454) but
I think he is a more careful wordsmith than that, and must have been talking
about a selected patch of rear glass without the reflective coating, to let an
outside bulb shine into a true sealed-beam unit. Interesting. In any case, it
confirms that the concept was current in the seventies, and thus could have
been native to a GT Veloce in some regulatory environments.

One other all-Alfa solution to Neil's problem may lie in the 1750 Berlina. The
2000 Berlina, in Europe, had parking lights mounted through holes in the front
fenders, as the GT Veloces did, but (if the photos do not deceive) the 1750
Berlina, in Europe, had a very neatly formed parking/directional light unit
mounted to the top of the bumper. It appears that with a minimum amount of
fiddling they could be mounted to the bottom of the "Bertone" bumper, giving
an installation which would be Eurolegal, all-Alfa, and far neater than the
klunky rectangular things used on the US coupes. If wanted I could snail Neil
some brochure pictures of these, and I have an impression that some of the
list's Netherlandish participants are inveterate boneyard-crawlers (Jurgen?)
and might help find the part if new ones were pricey.

John