Re: 164 elec. problems

>>>>Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:50:07 -0400
From: "Mark F. Domby" <dombymf5@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 elec. problems
Not even a week after I got my car back from the damn dealer, I think the
batt. is dead. It was on its original one from 91 with 58K miles on it and
no problems, and I asked the fool if I should replace it...  I'm entrenched in
the idea that the SOB, after I told him the batt had never been out, took a
dead one and put it in my car, and took mine, knowing it would fail soon and
would come running for help with cash in hand. I know I'm probably just
backlashing at my expensive car, so do I just need
a new battery??? Help me, I'm broke.>>>>

Well, I'm not likely to be the first to tell you your mechanic is not scamming
you by stealing your 7 year old battery. That's just nutty. He just made
several thousand dollars off of you in service. Do you really think he would
jeopardise your future business by stealing something which has little or no
value?
By the way of consolation; I've never had a battery last more than 5 years in
any car. And my GTV6 has demanded monetary contributions from me well in
excess of double its fair market value. I'm broke too, but driving the Alfa is
usually the best part of my day (when it's not busy being the best part of my
mechanics day).
To paraphrase Bill Bain who just wrote in reguard to Bosch Spiders "You really
have to love these cars" to tollerate the service bills (or be brave/talented
enough to do major sevice yourself, I'm not). What's it worth to you to have
that 6200 rpm snarl in your ear and that rush of adrenelin as you flash around
that off camber freeway ramp (YEAH!).
I wish you better luck with your 164 in the future, but I think you're getting
your monies worth. If you want to feel better about your empty bank account
track down one of those Nissan Maxima drivers and ask them what it costs to
service that stolid, sleepy, turd of a car.
And lastly, if you really don't trust your mechanic, by all means, find
another shop, there are great mechanics that seriously love Alfas and will
knock themselves out to help an Alfa owner. Post a queary for good Alfa
Mechanics in your area to this list.
Buona fortuna,
JimboMGA@domain.elided
1984 GTV6 (graunch)