'69 Headliner

W.B. Peale asked about DIYing his '69 headliner:

I hope this helps:

1.  You'll have to remove your front and rear window.  On a '69, with a
gasketed windshield, this is pretty easy.  My '74 has this style windshield
and I've removed it (and the rear window) several times by using lots of
popsicle sticks under the gasket (from the inside) to pop the window out.
That's the easy part.

2.  You'll need to remove the stainless trim around the cabin that pinches
the headliner material along the cabin edge.  This isn't very difficult to
remove, but (I can't remember from where I sit) you may have to remove the
stainless trim that runs along the drip moldings as well.  Again, it's not
too difficult to remove, but as you can see, the work is compounding.

3.  Once the windows are out and the necessary trim is removed, you need to
remove the existing headliner.  This is pretty simple.  Peal it from the
edges, pop out the hoop, and remove some screws that hold in the FIA
"enhancement" (the rectangular indentation) in the headliner, in the rear.

4.  Buy some contact adhesive.  3M makes a spray that's just for headliners.

5.  Put the new headliner/foam together... and have a drink..... you'll need
it.

6.  Starting from the "FIA enhancement" screw the frame and headliner back
in.  This is the part that took the most work for me.  I had a terrible time
with this.  Once you've got this in place, however, it's all down hill.

7.  Use the contact cement to glue the edges on to the cabin perimeter metal.

8.  Install the trim (I used a plastic mallet to help this), and windows (the
"rope trick" and some armor all work well).

Good luck,

Bob Brady, DVAROC
'74 gtv.... languishing in pieces
'88 verde