RE: GTV Purchase

<I have just fell in love.  .......  I am looking at 1970-1974 GTVs and
<would like to ask a few questions.

<1. What is the going rate for these vehicles in California,
<specifically the San Francisco Bay area.
Dunno.... whatever the buyer will pay and the seller accept.. hopefully some
locals can help you!

<2. What are the maintenance costs of these vehiclles?
How long is a piece of string?? Very much depends on the condition of the car you
buy, and if you are going to work on it yourself or pay somebody else. However
parts are not too expensive, and they are relatively simple cars compared to
modern machines. Biggest potential costs are related to rust in the body...

<3. Are parts readily available for these cars?
In general yes, there are quite a few suppliers around the world who stock just
about everything you'll need. In my opinion the parts situation is better for
these cars than some of the newer (1970/80s) Alfas such as the Alfetta series and
GTV6: certainly for panel parts. There are a few exceptions from time to time
(RHD brake MC for example), but there are ways to fix just about anything. The
mechanical parts are very closely related to those in the spider, so something
that will (can be made to) fit should be available for a while yet.

<4. What are the more desired features to look for when purchasing?
<5. What are the major problems with these cars to lokk out for?
<5a. How can I determine what problems are present (tell tale signs)?

There's a bit of a buyer's guide on my website to get you started: which also
lists a few relevant books and magazine articles.

Also check out Ben Dixon's page at
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5949/index.html

Scott Fisher has a good list of things to check for at:
http://www.living-history.org/classics/serpent/gt_checklist.html

<6.Which years have the fewest problems?
The year that a careful owner bought the car: seriously, problems are likely to
relate to previous owners' abuse or lack of care than to the particular year of
manufacture.

(Soon to be Alpha pilot
A WHAT??? Shame on your spelling......  :-))

Good luck with your hunt!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce

105/115 series GT/GTV/GTJnr home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML