T.I.

Minimal notes in response to Mark Springer's comments in AD7-060:

> Wasn't the Giulia Berlina the official replacement for the Giulia Super/TI
and

Yes/no; the Berlina, 1750 first and then 2000, was never called a Giulia in
the USA or in Fusi, etc, although certainly a direct evolution, a member of
the Giulia family in terms of technology.

> "So wasn't the first Giulia sedan just called Giulia (no TI, Super etc?) and
was a 1300 single carburetted car? - - TI suggests a more powerfull engine Why
would Alfa use the TI name for the single carburetted models? First the (1600)
TI and later the slowest Giulia: the 1300 TI? After all, Turissimo
Internazionale suggests some kind of performance."

I believe it started with the Giulietta Berlina, which was the base model w/
single throat carburetor, 7.5-1 c.r and 53 horses in 1955, elaborated to the
Giulietta T.I. with a double-throat carb, 8.5-1 c.r and a whopping 65 horses.
The Giulia T.I. was then presented as an elaboration on the Giulietta T.I,
with 280 more cc, a 9-1 c.r. and 92 cv in a new body, without any 'base' model
beneath it. Reasonable marketing strategy.

>"I can imagine this must have been also confusing for the workers in the
factory because there would be such a huge supply of different parts available
to fit to the cars."

Many types over at least fourteen years, and innumerable running changes, but
probably not that many variables at any one time: two displacements, a very
limited number of states of tune, a very limited number of trim levels at any
one time. Probably not that confusing for the workers, although in the field
several cars produced within a brief period could have a bewildering variety
of detail differences.

Nice cars, all of them. Not a dog in the bunch.

John