Multiple-calipers on touring cars

Hi guys,

Yeah, it's me again.  Thanks for all your responses regarding tire choice for
track applications.  The verdict?  "Go forth, young man"  100% of you
respondents cited very good to excellent results in using soft compound tires
for the track, and most everyone suggested I stay away from the 225-size tires
for the Milano/75/GTV6 application due to possible rubbing when the suspension
loads up with the stock fenderwells.  Suffice to say that 205/50-15's or
205/45-16's would be workable.

So now I've been doing more research and I'm sure some of you noticed that the
Dodge Stratus in the US Touring Car series ran two sets of calipers on the
front wheels.  There was one article I read somewhere (I think it was "Max
Power") that said the Ford Mondeo Touring Cars in the UK run 8-piston calipers
per front wheel (!)

Okay, so I'm not going to go *that* crazy.

However, what is there to be gained by having that much friction area?  We all
know from College Physics that it is the force that we apply to the surface is
what that matters.  Besides, if you cover up the disc area with a caliper,
there's less room for heat to dissipate!

Of course, I'm being purposely naive - I'm sure those engineers figured out
the coefficient of friction and heat dissipation quantities of their brake
units.  But a shadetree mechanic like myself doesn't have the fancy test
benches; only a toolbox and a physics book.  If I went to twice the number of
pistons, and increased the clamping area by, say 1.25, I would then lose 1.25
the amount of force at the pistons given that I apply the same force at the
pedal.  I.e. to stop the disc the same amount, I would have to apply 1.25
times more pedal pressure due to my 1.25 increase in surface area.

Bummer.  So to compensate, do I need to *reduce* the master cylinder size?
Sounds weird but that seems how the simple equation works... (not that it's
possible since I have a Verde equipped with ABS).  I just want to know what
you guys think of this whole idea.

Thanks,

Nizam