Again Giulia Super Snake badges

> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:04:56 EDT
> From: <JHertzman@domain.elided>
> Subject: Super snakes
>
> In AD7-055  Andrew Watry is searching for the C-pillar emblems missing from
> his '67 Giulia Super, mentioning that "I think this part is unique to the
> Giulia Super." It certainly raised my curiosity, as MY '67 Giulia Super didn't
> have anything but paint on the C-pillar. Out come d'A-T, which has the most
> pictures. Nothing at all showing in that area on the Giulia TI, TI Super,

I dont think the Giulia TI and the TI Super are supposed to have these badges.
The Giulia TI because it was supposed to be the Alfa affordable for the
'ordinary man' so it was the stripped down version of the Giulia sedan. And
the TI Super was stripped down for performance reasons so I would be surprised
to find badges on a TI Super.

> 1300, - but then the photos of the Giulia Super include one "in the version
> with the Visconti serpent on the rear pillar" ("una Giulia Super nella
> versione con il biscione visconteo sul montante posteriore della
> carrozzeria"). Later in the book the 1600 S of 1968-70, "effectively the
> replacement for the Giulia T.I. - - equipped with a single twin-choke vertical

Giulia TI's were made till 1971/72 (or even 73?). Mine is a 1970 Giulia 1300 TI
so I dont think it could be a replacement. The marketing of the Giulia's had
been (before the Nuova Supers) that the Giulia TI was the least expensive
Giulia and after the introduction of the Giulia Super, the Supers had always
been the more luxurious version of the Giulia with all the nice items and
double Weber/Dell'Orto carburettors (instead of the single Solex carburettor
of the Giulia 1300 TI). I am not aware of 1600 Giulia's with single
carburettors.
I thought these always had the double Weber/Dell'Orto's.

The Nuova Supers were all basically the same, all in the Lusso version and all
with double carburettors (however, Weber's, Dell'Orto's and Solex carburettors
were used at random so it seems) regardless of the 1300 or 1600 engine.

> carburettor" and without "the rear anti-roll bar that was felt to be
> superfluous on a sedate saloon" shows a snake-badge, from which it would
> appear that (1) some but not all Giulia Supers had it, and (2) it was not
> unique to the Giulia Super.

Alfa Romeo had made little cosmetic changes to the Giulia's throughout the
years of production without waiting for the introduction of a new model
which makes this all very confusing on whether the Snake badge is supposed
to be on the Giulia Supers or not.

Besides, I think the 'problem' here also is that people in the
Alfa Romeo factory in the '60's and '70's had a tendency to use whatever
part happened to be in the box and put it on the car they were working on,
no matter what type or model, as long as it fitted. I think the snake badge
would be such an item. Another item would be the single and double
headlight grilles. This is supposed to be only available for the Giulia
TI but I know of Giulia TI's that came out of the factory with double
headlights
(Jack Habit's Giulia 1300 TI!). And when I was in Italy this summer I saw a
green
Giulia Super 1600 at a body-work shop which had .... single head-lights... :-)

Even the Nuova Super had these little detail differences. For instance on the
wheels you could have the black plastic Alfa Romeo logo or the stamped logo.
And what about three types of carburettors? Weber, Solex and Dell'orto?
It all makes it very confusing to categorize the different models of the
Giulia.

Also, on the dutch National Alfa Romeo event a couple of weeks ago I saw a
british
Bertone 1750 which was the last 1750 made and it had a mix of all kind of
parts:
a 2000 interior and things like that. :)

> Fusi's description of the Giulia Super lists the biscione colore verde among a
> group of "improvements" which were introduced in January 1969 - top hinged
> pedals, tunnel-mounted handbrake, alternator, hydraulic clutch, seating
> changes, etcetera.

The Giulia TI still had the floor mounted pedals and handbrake near the
steering
column after January '69. Was there ever a Giulia TI made with top hinged
pedals and tunnel-mounted handbrakes? Or with a tunnel at all?

> It is a cosmetic detail which would presumably be easily
> retrofitted on earlier cars by owners whose tastes favored decoration. If Fusi

See Alfa Romeo upgrade-policy and factory behaviour above. :) And also, because
of the big availability of all these items which are very easy to fit on
any Giulia you want, owners did do this very often indeed. You can make a
Giulia 1300 TI look exactly like a Giulia Super 1600 without too much trouble.

> is correct, the 1965-'68 supers were snakeless, and the '69-'72 Supers were
> snake-badged. But Andrew had mentioned " I have the stamped metal base for one
> side (removed from the car), but not the other, and no round Alfa emblems to
> fit in each base". This sounds like there were three states- badgeless, round-
> badged, and snake-badged, although I have found no photos of a round-badge one
> and had not seen (or owned) one with any badge there.

Werent the round badges only available on the Bertones?

> Purely personal opinion, that is one car which needs no badge-

That's why I drive a TI! :-) Agreed! :-)

> John

- --
********* http://www.sara.nl/mark ***********
Mark Springer    O==V==O    mspringer@domain.elided