Super snakes

In AD7-055  Andrew Watry is searching for the C-pillar emblems missing from
his '67 Giulia Super, mentioning that "I think this part is unique to the
Giulia Super." It certainly raised my curiosity, as MY '67 Giulia Super didn't
have anything but paint on the C-pillar. Out come d'A-T, which has the most
pictures. Nothing at all showing in that area on the Giulia TI, TI Super,
1300, - but then the photos of the Giulia Super include one "in the version
with the Visconti serpent on the rear pillar" ("una Giulia Super nella
versione con il biscione visconteo sul montante posteriore della
carrozzeria"). Later in the book the 1600 S of 1968-70, "effectively the
replacement for the Giulia T.I. - - equipped with a single twin-choke vertical
carburettor" and without "the rear anti-roll bar that was felt to be
superfluous on a sedate saloon" shows a snake-badge, from which it would
appear that (1) some but not all Giulia Supers had it, and (2) it was not
unique to the Giulia Super.

Fusi's description of the Giulia Super lists the biscione colore verde among a
group of "improvements" which were introduced in January 1969 - top hinged
pedals, tunnel-mounted handbrake, alternator, hydraulic clutch, seating
changes, etcetera. It is a cosmetic detail which would presumably be easily
retrofitted on earlier cars by owners whose tastes favored decoration. If Fusi
is correct, the 1965-'68 supers were snakeless, and the '69-'72 Supers were
snake-badged. But Andrew had mentioned " I have the stamped metal base for one
side (removed from the car), but not the other, and no round Alfa emblems to
fit in each base". This sounds like there were three states- badgeless, round-
badged, and snake-badged, although I have found no photos of a round-badge one
and had not seen (or owned) one with any badge there.

Purely personal opinion, that is one car which needs no badge-

John