Alfasud Sprint h/brake cable

Hi Tony & Marty in Oz,

Did you have any replies to your Sprint handbrake query?

>> I have picked up an excellent low milage Alfasud Sprint Veloce
>> recently but the hamfisted "mechanic" who did the roadworthy
>> check  has stuffed up the handbrake.

Ha, yes, I've had this too......  To be fair though, my cable must
have been on its way out or it wouldn't have broken.

>> It seemed OK before he tested it but now  it has no effect at
>> all. I thought he must have broken the cable but  it looks OK

It's easy to find out for sure....... just operate the in-car lever up
and down through its full travel and have a look at the caliper-end
of the cable and see if anything moves......

>> This is one of the last of the Sud's that has the handbrake
>> operating on the front disks. I adjusted the cable to give
>> about 5 clicks before the handbrake is on but it still has no
>> effect and the cable cannot be adjusted further.

I  wonder, how do you mean, "the handbrake is on but it still has
no effect "?  Do you mean that it comes against a resistance after
5 clicks?  If so, sounds like the cable isn't broken and it must be
applying a load to something  (the calipers presumably?).

>> My next step is probably to replace the cable.......

Only after you're really sure it's broken. You don't want to do this
job if you don't need to!

>> I saw an article..... on how to replace the handbrake cable
>> without removing the engine. Does anyone out there have a
>> copy of this article, or experience in changing this cable
>> with the least hassle.

Sorry haven't seen any articles. However I have done one myself,
but it was on a TI rather than a Sprint. On the TI it's quite difficult
due to lack of room, and on the Sprint I can see it would be even
worse.  I did the TI one by compressing the spring of the new
cable by tensioning the cable on the bench using levers and a
vice,  and tying a plastic cable-tie around the spring to hold it
compressed. Then it was possible (just) to fit it to the front
calipers on the car, then reach down the gap and cut the cable tie
to release the spring. I don't think there would be enough access
to do this on a Sprint though.

A friend of mine did his Sprint one by using a long length of no.8
wire (you can tell we're Kiwis here) which had a handle lashed
onto one end and was bent into a hook at the other. He had this
thing running under the wheel arch and over to the caliper area,
and from outside the wheel well could pull on the cable-spring
with the no.8 hook, to compress it enough for a helper to install
the caliper-end of the cable. Said it was a piece of cake.

Another friend says you should simply take off a caliper (or both
calipers?) which makes it easy to install  the cable to them. Then
refit calipers) with cable in place.  Said to be really easy.

Best regards,
and if you hear of any other tricks, I'd like to hear too.
Graham H,
N.Z.