164 Battery Failure Mode

Has anyone replaced their 164's battery lately? I'm interested in what =
symptoms you saw before the failure. Let me tell you what I've been =
experiencing for the last few days:

- - Slower cranking, but the car still starts after a couple of cranks.
- - Voltage gauge drops to around 8 volts after starting. Normally, it had =
been dropping to around 10-11 before the alternator kicked in.
- - Takes longer for the voltage reading to recover. I now have to goose =
the accelerator to get the reading back up to 14 volts.
- - At idle with the A/C on the voltage gauge dips below 14 volts. This =
never used to happen unless I had the heater on full and the rear window =
defroster on.

Should I order my new battery or look for other problems?

Bob Abhalter
Grand Rapids MI
'68 GT1300jr
'69 Spider