fitting air rail to euroheaders - '76 Alfetta Sedan

I've recently moved to California from Wisconsin, USA and am having a hard
time passing the strict emissions standards in California. I have
cast iron Euro headers. I've purchased a factory
air rail but it doesn't look like they match up.The end of the stems on
the air rail are different from the plugs of the headers just off the
engine block.  Has anyone had this problem? Are there adaptors available or
is the only option to modified the
stems on the air rails to make them fit together?

Matthew -

We are in the same boat.  I have a 76 Alfetta GT which is going the same route
as your sedan.  There is nothing that I know of that is bolt in, of course.  I
have the benefit of a buddy who does some machine working though, and together
we will make this work.

First - You need an adapter made that will fit the manifold and allow the
fittings on the air injection rail to be close to even.  The accordion
sections can take up some slack there.  The manifold end has to screw into the
manifold, and the the top has to accept the air inector fitting.

Second - And here is where things get tricky.  The air injection rail on the
GT is 90 degrees away from where it has to be to work with the Euro headers,
as compared to the US cast iron lump.  This means the air injection rail has
to be cut and spliced back together, but at an angle that will allow the
fittings to pass behind the engine, as it should.

Third - I haven't looked at the set up lately, but I seem to remember that the
fittings on the Euro manifold are not equidistant from each other.  I think
that #1 cylinder is closer to the other three.  This means that you may have
to cut a section out of the air injection rail and splice things back
together.  AGain, the accoridon section of the air rail can take up some of
the slack, so it should n't have to be a perfect fit, just good.

Fourth - You'll have to jury rig some sort of set up for the warm air
crossover hose.  The stock manifold has some sheet metal that I may have to
try to adapt to the Euro headers.

No one said this was going to be easy.  I am still waiting on my buddy who
said that he could machine the adapters.  When you are dealing with friends .
. . .

Jay Negrin
76 Alfetta GT
ARO Southern California