Re: ADVISE PLEASE !! Re AR Business people

>Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:49:04 -0400
>From: "Sedon, Doug (OD)" <sedond@domain.elided>
>Subject: Subject: ADVISE PLEASE !! Re AR Business people
>
>i was in a similar situation w/a well-respected mechanic in new
england, w/a
>long alfa history, who even fred dimatteo unhesitatingly recommends.  i
>basically waited 3-4 months for gears to be litened for my gtv6 t/a,
and it
>never happened - always an excuse.  i dint lose any money, finally had
'em
>sent elsewhere, but i lost the time, and i'm convinced i was lied to -
my
>small-potatos business yust wasn't worth it to him.  if i had PROOF
that he
>never sent me two sets of litened gears that were "lost" (when the
final,
>unlitened set went straight to ca in 3 days, no problem!), i'd
definitely post
>his name here.

I just got my car back from what I presume is that same "well respected
mechanic in new england w/a long alfa history".

How long did it take? Too long, but I didn't keep up pestering them and
I indicated when I drove the car in (on three cylinders) that I was
willing to wait for the job to be done right. (Hey, I have other
cars...)

How much did it cost? A lot; a lot more than I expected or was initially
quoted. But, everything they did was done right, and needed doing.

It's frustrating anytime a job takes longer than promised (or just
longer than you wished), and good mechanics have their shops FULL of
cars waiting to be worked on. That's why I try to do a lot of my own
minor work, but when you're up against your personal skill/tool limits
and want the job done right, or want it done while you're busy doing
something else, or want it done by someone who's done it before...

Bottom line: I am quite happy with the car, the shop, or the work that
was done. Being my first trip into that shop, I now know more of what to
expect next time and you can bet that I'll be back. It could have been
done faster, it could have been cheaper, but I don't think it could have
been better or more convenient for me...

- ---Jim