Handbrakes

Hi,

With the recent mention of sticking rear calipers on 164, I'd be
interested to know if this is a common problem, or if there are any
other known common problems with the 164 handbrake?

Just last Sunday, I parked my '94 Cloverleaf in front of the building at
work.  A couple of hours later it had decided to roll backwards into the
side of the building.  The nearside rear wing is too creased to hammer
out, the bumper is scraped and ripped at the corner and all of the
mounting lugs on the nearside blade at broken, and the rear panel is
curved in on the left as well.  I had initially had hopes that I might
be able to avoid an insurance claim (already down 2 years our previous
car catching fire in the middle of London, and also I'm worried that the
AA might decide that the 460 pounds we're paying for Fully Comp
insurance is ridiculously low), but quotes I'm getting are around 1600
pounds, ouch!

The handbrake was on (although tugging at it further, it felt maybe a
little spongey) and subsequently appeared capable of holding the car,
although from now on I'm leaving it in gear on anything than perfectly
flat ground, just to be safe.  It was parked on a steepish slope, but
nothing too outrageous.  I know that it didn't roll for some time after
I parked it.  The only thing I can think of (other than someone pushing
it either maliciously or hoping to steal it) is that I have heard that
on cars with rear disc brakes, the handbrake can loosen as the discs
cool down.  Any ideas anyone?

- --
Jonathan Wolff <jon@domain.elided>
Programmer