Re:DIY Brake Bleeding via air tube, etc

Yes, this sounds like a godd idea :

Get a 2" mountain bike tube ( about $2 at Walmart ) and cut it off about
>|10" on either side of the valve,  plug one end ( I cut the end off a
>|hammer handle which I found in my barn and put an hose clamp around it )
>|stretch the tube over the reservoir opening and put a turn of bailing
>|wire around the bottom of the tube to hold it in place, pump it up so
>|you have a balloon about 12" long and 4" diameter,  this will produce a
>|nice steady flow of fluid at the nipple. Note: The Tube-O-Bleed will
>|work on any car.
>|
>|Tim

However, how then does one add replacement fluid or control air pressure?

Would it not be a good idea to connect the tube valve to an air tank or
even an air pump?  By that means one might be able to more delicately
control air flow into the rez, remove the bladder end to top up, and then
once again introduce an approprite flow of air.  One of my concerns - of
course - is that a lack of fine  control might allow air to be intoduced
into the system.

I can see where Tim's idea would work well especially if one only wanted to
replace the fluid in the calipers only; beyond that it gets a bit messy.
However, every method I have ever used is messy; I should accept that.
Like Pigpen I seem to "magnetically" attract and provoke dirt of all kinds.

This too seems like a good idea :

<<<<<I just push a good length of clear tube onto every brake nipple on
the car (usually 4, but 3 for Alfasud), and run them upwards a
good few inches before letting them drape down onto the ground.
Loosen every brake nipple, then just relax in the car and pump
the pedal, stopping now & again to top up master cyl as usual.
Fluid will be pumped out of every nipple, all going well, and since
all are open at once, you are assured of full pedal stroke even on a
dual circuit system.  Because the bleed tubes are running upwards
a good few inches from the nipples, if anything is drawn back by
the pedal upstroke it will only be fluid and not air.>>>>>

However, does this method not require 4 containers to catch the fluid
leaving each of the brakes via the hoses?

???  And most important, does this method guarantee that air will not pass
by the brake nipple threads and so be introduced into the system?

???  How does one prevent fluid drool at the valves on compression.

David

East Troy, Wisconsin

2000 GTV
'66 Duetto