Milano Fan

Had what, I think, is an unusual failure on my Milano yesterday.   As I was
driving along, and stopped at a light, the engine fan came on or rather, tried
to.  I heard a click and a funny noise.  I opened the hood and I saw 2 of the
blades broken off and wedged between the shroud and radiator.
This morning I took the fan assembly out and discovered that the shaft of the
motor had pulled inward forcing the blade assembly to grind itself against the
fan housing itself!
Has anyone heard of this type of failure?  I guess tommorow I'll be on the
phone looking for a replacement fan and motor.  Any advice or comments?

Tony Brucia
'88 Milamo Verde.
Long Island NY