Re: GTV6 Sputtering

Skybeaver6@domain.elided wrote:

> OK folks...I need some troubleshooting advice....
>
> While driving yesterday, my GTV6 hiccupped...(a jerk like it was
> running out
> of fuel)  I assumed since the gas guage was low that perhaps I was in
> need of
> fuel...well, it sputtered and died three times before I got to the gas
>
> station.  Everytime it died, it started right back up...
>
> After fueling, it occurred three more times.  When I backed into the
> dark
> garage, I noticed that the alternator light was remaining on but very
> dim.
> The vehicle continues to start immediately after turning ignition...
>
> What could it be.....fuel pump....alternator....fuel
> injection...contaminated
> fuel...ECU????  Somebody help me please with suggestions...
>
> Please post your suggestion and/or e-mail me at skybeaver6@domain.elided
>
> Walt Mattil
> 83 GTV6 (she's a little under the weather)

Sometimes the air flow meter flap will stick.  It's kind of like having
a choke engage - fuel but little air.  I've had this happen to my gtv6
and the first milano I had.

I accidentally located the problem on the side of the road one day when
my car suddenly lost power.  It would idle but little else.  It had been
doing this but would usually right itself upon recranking.  Well, that
day on the side of the road, the car never would run right.  I poked and
prodded at everything I could think of.  Finally, I got angry, gave up
and smacked the top of the AFM with my fist.  At that point, I detected
a slight difference in the sound of the engine.  I got in and it ran
fine.  When I got home I removed the AFM, cleaned the flap, sprayed some
wd40 on the hinge and had no further trouble from it.

Of course, I'm not saying this is your problem but maybe you'll be
lucky.  If not, it's useful info to have anyway

Good Luck
Rodney G. Tidwell