Rambling about Alfetta GTV Headlights

Some background:

When I was refurbishing my '78 GTV (after rescuing it from
a doomed existance, immobile in a guys front yard) I spent
some weekends trawling around Sydney buying second hand
headlamps (mostly from individuals who were selling them
of cars they were wrecking).  I eventually ended up with
a collection of 2 perfect lights, 2 OK lights (slightly
rusty on the back but good reflectors) two lights on the
car that I had to throw away (rusted+smashed) etc.
Anyway, the two perfect lights I put away, and I fitted
the set of 4 reasonable headlights I cobbled together from
4 different donor cars.  I did this in the last days of
the refurbishment, so was in somewhat of a hurry
and didn't notice a couple of details.

I had to change the A/C condensor fan this week, the original
died a scraping, rumbling death.  To get it out, I had to
remove both of the plastic grilles on the car.  I managed
to break the drivers side one, although it was obvious
why it broke:  It had been burnt in a fire at some point
(I knew the car had been on fire, the wiring was joined
on the inside of the guard on the drivers side, and the
headlight was mistakenly wired to the ignition and vice
versa !!)

Anyway, I got a new grille (and horn, it was melted too)
and went to put my headlights back in when I thought I
might try substituting one of the "perfect" lights
in place of a sad looking main beam.  Turns out the
"perfect" lights didn't fit!

They must be from a later car, I suspect.  Did the mounting
change on the later cars?  Does anybody in Sydney want two
good drivers side headlights for their GTV (I think $30AUD
would cover it)?

dave.