tempermental? naaaaaaa....

This morning when I went hopped in the Spider and turned the key, the
fuel pump whined as usual, fuel pressure light went out, I turned the key
to the start position and .... nada. Lights on the dash dimmed a bit.
Hmm. First time it's done that.

The office is only a mile away and my other car was other there so I just
walked over. Called my service buddy.

"Yo, Mike! It's all Beth's fault!"
"What do you mean?" he says.
"Well, do you notice that both her Sport Sedans are up at your place now?"
"Yes..."
"Well, Sunday morning we went for a putt in the morning for breakfast.
Nearly ran flat out of gas on the way back. First warning. Last night, I
met her up there after she drove up the second sedan and took her home. I
think it was too much for my Spider. This morning it just flat wouldn't
do anything when I turned the key to the start position."
"Hmm. I see. Yup, it must be," he says, "Well, try wacking the starter
with a hammer. It sounds like it just got a brush jammed or something."
"Ok, I'll give it a try when I get home. Otherwise, AAA will drop it off
to you tomorrow. It doesn't matter if I don't get it back for a couple of
days." It was going up there anyway for a little tweaking on the exhaust.
They're going nuts getting ready for the Concours Italiano. I can afford
to be without for a day or three, I have another running car and two
running motorcycles.

I got home this stuff, did a bit of stuff around the house I needed to
do, and then went down to the garage. Reaching the starter on the Spider
takes a bit of effort, but removing the air filter just lets you get your
fingers in there. Wacked it a couple of times with a hammer. Key in,
power on, VROOM! started right up.

My neighbor comes by as I'm putting the air filter back in place. "Hmm,
nice looking motor! What are you doing to it?"
"Wacking the starter with a hammer to unstick it," I says.
He smiles, "You love this shit, don't you?"
"Wouldn't have it any other way..." I reply.

Don't ya love it?

Godfrey