click click click

All the suggestions so far seem far and reasonable. Good luck!

I've got another item which might be worth checking.

Apparently, some Alfas, my 76 Alfetta for example, are wired with the earth
lead going from the battery to the front of the car and a flat cable
connector going between the body and the bellhousing providing the earth
return to the starter.

I had the battery earth lead go up in smoke one day when I had the same
problem as you, very interesting!!!

The later cars, I think, were wired much better in that the battery earth
lead goes direct to the motor, on the bellhousing under the exhaust. The
flat earth strap then only has to provide earth to the ancillaries such as
lights etc, not the huge power drain required of the starter.

No matter what else may or may not be wrong, I strongly suggest you require
your car with earth direct to motor if it is not already done that way!!

Regards from DownUnder

Trevor Turner
Canberra
Australia