No Turner at Monterey

Hey all,

Just got back from Wes Ingram's, where we've been rebuilding Humpty Dumpty
in big chunks.  Last Wed. night we removed, replaced a little interlock, and
reinstalled the transmission, replaced two U-joints, and did some exhaust
work, a nice after-work's evening.

On Sunday I removed my cylinder head, today the car was towed to Wes' to
inspect why the car was suddenly a severe oil burner, this with 7k miles on
my lovely 1600.  The smoke out of the tailpipe was getting worse by the day,
even at idle.  It had to be rings.

Good news and bad
news.  The good news is that we did indeed find the problem.  #3 piston's
top ring just continued to beat itself against the ring lands, it eventually
opened up an 0.080" groove for the top ring, this being quite excessive.
The
other top rings were nice and tight, this one was quite floppy, that ring is
really doing no good at that point, allowing lots of blow by.  Re-ringing
the motor would do nothing for us.  Turner will not make Monterey this year.
We certainly did all we could in an impossibly short timeline.

There were two Alfas at Wes' valiantly trying to get ready for Monterey:
mine, and
Angelina, a gorgeous cream '67 Duetto with 0 mile 2.0 hot rod engine and
hot rod car (Panhard rod, roll bar, hanging pedal conversion, woo!) fired up
and ran after months of unbelievable dedication by both Wes and the owner,
Ron Caulkins.  He drove his car home tonight, but it simply isn't ready for
this big trip.  So, Ron, his buddy, and myself will all drive down in his
new red Passat wagon (VR6) in air conditioned comfort.  At least we can talk
Alfas and console ourselves.

The fun part is my options.  We may just end up with 80mm pistons in there,
that would be interesting.  I have to think about putting more money in this
motor, but with 1750 pistons, I could always use those in my next motor,
which would most likely be a 1750!  LIfe rolls on.

See you in Monterey,

Steve S.
NWARC