RE: More seat belt questions

> This reminds me of a question I had wanted to ask.  I'm interested in
> replacing the stock seat belts in my '71 GTV with something that will
> inspire more confidence.  While at the Palo Alto concourse several
> weeks ago, I saw two GTVs with similar seat belt arrangements that I
> thought were interesting.  Here's where the details get sketchy, and
> so I'm hoping that one of the owners is on the list and can help me
> out.  I believe they were Simpson belts. There were two shoulder
> straps, coming from the back of the car on either side of the
> headrest.  Sorry for the total cluelessness (someone has to ask the
> dumb questions), but does this indicate a 5-point setup?  In one of
> the cars the shoulder belts looked like they were attached to the top
> of the rear "seats", while in the other car the belts were attached to
> the floor behind the driver/passenger seats.  I'll stop now, before I
> spread anymore misinformation, but if someone can further enlighten me
> I'd appreciate it.

the first method (attaching at the top of the rear seat) is actually bolted
to the rear parcel shelf (the real parcel shelf, not the rear seat).  this
method is safest, but it renders the rear seat less practical than it
already is.

i wouldn't recommend the second method.  bolting the belts to the floor
doesn't prevent the seat from folding forward in a frontal impact, which is
not good.

there is another possibility, which i'm about to try in my '71 gtv (but
haven't yet gotten around to).  i'm told that three point sholder belts from
the rear seat of a milano can be made to fit the front of a gtv without too
much trouble.  i have the belts, and the car, but not the time to try this
yet..

hope this helps,

bs