Milano with a loose steering tie rod

  The looseness is in the joint between the power steering rack and the
tie rod, right side only. I can move the tie rod in and out a few
millimeters.  This can't be good for my alignment.
  Before I rip open the brittle rubber boot, I was wondering if anyone is
familiar this joint. Is it something I may be able to fix myself? The guts
are not detailed in my workshop manual. I hope I don't have to replace my
steering rack.

Thanks,
Craig Lawson
claw@domain.elided