Spider elec. ignition

Spider is finally starting to run a bit rough.  I say finally because
I've done no tuning since I bought it used, 3 years ago (~3000 miles).
Past experience with point type ignitions tells me to look there first
and as long as I've got the distributor out, figure it worth switching
to electronic - so I won't have to do it again!  But which brand?

Read with interest the Grassroots Motorsports article that got another
5hp out of an Alfetta with the Jacobs.  Have heard good things about the
Crane/Allison, and there's always the Mirelliplex (or Ricambiplex
nowadays, I guess).  What's the collective wisdom?  Must confess having
little interest in retaining original equipment for its own sake.

BTW, "running rough" = stumbles at startup (black smoke) but idles OK
warm; when fully warmed, misses on acceleration, i.e. half throttle and
above.  Could be many things other than ignition, but experience tells
me to start there.

cheers,
Robert Hardwick, Seattle (47deg 32' N lat, 122 deg 16' long - for Fred
< :)