164 FAQ, Spider Fuel Additives

I've got a couple of things I'm interested in learning more about.  There's
a lot of chatter about hot- (temp) running 164s.  Mine is often in the
200-plus range, and in Atlanta's muggy, slow traffic, that can be worrisome.
Is there a FAQ reference on 164 temperature issues?  Are we worried about
nuttin'?

As an aside, I recently asked for a received assistance in locating 164S
engines.  Crankshaft bearings went in mine, and the previous owner had a
tendency to run low or dry on oil, so I opted to get a reman from Auto Sport
Unltd in Zeeland, Mich.  I'm waiting (and waiting, and waiting) now for the
engine, but should try to be patient as Tim at ASU tells me he's making sure
everything gets shipped at the same time.  The engine cost $3,000 and comes
with a 12-month/12,000 mile warranty.  (A wave of depression is once more
passing through me as I write that awful number.)  I located several
high-mileage S engines from the low $2,000s.

Meanwhile, my trusty (yuk, yuk) 82 Spider is getting me around.  It needs
engine mounts real bad, not to mention a new top.  Anyone have any ramps and
an engine jack to loan me?  The mounts might be a job that even I can do;
not sure I want to take on the top.

I recently improved but did not cure Spider starting problems with a new
battery.  Normally, she cranks instantly.  However, if she don't, better
have a cigarette and wait.  I can usually get her to start by disconnecting
and connecting what I think is a line leading to the fuel injectors.  It's a
hard plastic, snap-on connection, and I'm only mimicing what I saw someone
else do.  Comments?  Thoughts?

One final request.  With the Spider starting problems, might I start adding
fuel supplements to clean those injectors, or might I just as well flush
some folding money down the toilet?  Comments, thoughts in fuel and oil
additives?

Steve Morgan
82 Spider
91 164S