Spider visors

     Hugh asks:
     Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 16:57:56 -0600
     From: "Hugh Shawcross" <shawcros@domain.elided>
     Subject: spider sunvisor

     Not too long ago someone posted a question asking for help in tightening a
     sunvisor so that it didn't flop down (I presume). Who ever posted it
     actually thought that it had been the subject of a thread from some time
     ago. I waited for an answer to appear but either there wasn't one on digest
     or I missed it. Also, i'm not familiar with the thread. However, I have a
     similiar concern over one of my sunvisors and so far tightening the screws
     at the end haven't done any good. If some one is in the know on treating
     such a malady would they respond for my benefit please?
     Thanks

     Hugh Shawcross
     Medicine Hat, Alberta
     ' 74 Spider

     the problem with the visors is one of design. the adjusting screws
     clamp down on the shaft which is held in a plastic piece. When the
     plastic no longer grips the shaft, the rotation of the visor is no
     longer along the shaft, but between the shaft and the plastic
     retainer. I have been able to drill a tiny (1/16") hole thru the
     plastic and the shaft, and put a pin in it. Now the plastic housing
     holds the shaft, and the visor once again rotates about the shaft.
     Be very, very careful about where you drill the hole; there is very
     little metal held by the plastic. I do not know of a source for the
     plastic pieces.
     Good luck,
     Len