Re: 164 Wingmirrors and suspension

<<As most owners of pre 94 164's will know the mirror brackets can
     suffer surface corrosion.

     With this in mind would any members of the digest in the UK or Ireland
     have managed to either replace the brackets without having to purchase
     two complete units or even sucessfully repainted them.

     I am directing this question to the British Isles as a lot of paint
     and priming products available in the US are not available here.>>

I have been quoted 120 GB pounds to have mine fixed (by a main alfa dealer),
but was told that the problem could reoccur.  Does anybody have any experience
or suggestions?

On a different area, I intend to replace my shox and springs, for normal road
use only, am I better off staying with the standard setup or upgrading.  The
roads I drive on tend to be in poor condition.  If I do upgrade, should I use
Konis with standard springs, or upgrade the springs (ie H&R) with Boge units.

I think the standard setup is good, but it feels a little loose at the back,
would upgrading the rear, damage the balance of the car.

Steve
164 TS
Cumbria UK