Alternators on pseudogiulias

In AD7-026 Steve Harrop asks about running an alternator on the Sprint GT
engine which he plans to install in the Giulietta Spider he is restoring:

>Do I need to get a Bosch alternator off a later Alfa ?
>Is there a modern substitute ( maybe Japanese ..... cringe )
>Is this a simple bolt on ?
>Did the Sprint GT originally come with an alternator ?

I am reasonably certain that the '66 Sprint GT originally came with a
generator. The only reference I find to the introduction of an alternator is
on the Giulia Juniors, where the smooth-nose version was introduced in the
autumn of 1970 with "the introduction of dual-circuit braking, top-hinged
pedals, and an alternator."

Some time ago there was a thread on the digest on fitting alternators to
Giuliettas. The consensus was that there is room for a small oriental
alternator on a single-carb Giulietta, but not on the Veloces due to the
different motor mounts required for carb/air-box clearance, which would apply
also to a Sprint GT engine in the Spider. Jim Hayes is the authority on that
question

A problem Steve may or may not have anticipated is hood clearance. The usually
understood reason for the different hood, with simulated air scoop, on the
Giulia Spider is to clear the taller engine. He can certainly swap hoods and
update to Giulia specifications and appearance, but it would be a relatively
extreme 'abnormale'. Still better than a Willys F-head six, which I once saw
stuffed in a Giulietta. That job played hell with the stuctural firewall.

John