Hard start 79 Spica

Subject:     Hard start 79 Spica
Sent:        8/6/98 10:14 PM
To:          Alfisti, alfa-digest@domain.elided

Friends-

Suddenly and after a lot of work by me and shop, the car will not start =

while it is cranking. You have to take your best guess, release the =

switch to the run position, and find out if the engine catches. If no, go=
 =

back Jack...

First I thought it was the ign switch as I had the steering column apart =

twice. All is well with those big green brown and red wires. So, then I =

thought a voltage drop affecting the cold start solenoid. But it is =

almost ten volts while cranking and it doesn't start real great going =

downhill on the clutch and that is 12.5 volts. Further when it is hot, it=
 =

still doesn't start while cranking- although it is much more likely to =

start on the first try.

I've decided to give up on my flailing methodology and submit this to the=
 =

awesome expertise on the list.

Sure hope it ain't the pump. I had never messed with it even though I had=
 =

the AROC(?) Spica guide. Should have, the shop set it up and it runs =

wonderfully. Only non standard bit is the Fiat 131 electronic ignition.

Thanks,
Mark
- -- =

Mark W Harpster