Re: Stepper Motors

Well, my stupid quotient is way up there! I forgot that I had undone the
connector next to the glove box so as no longer to hear the clicking of
the stepper. THAT's why the self-diagnosis showed two open cicuits!--The
real symptoms are the typical--defroster and heat only, with no control
possible.

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 bjanesi@domain.elided wrote:

> Alan Lambert <gerard@domain.elided> writes
>
> >1) Are there two, or one stepper motors in a '91 L--one person I know
> >says one, but the self diagnostics tell me a 5U and 6U each of which
> >indicate an open cicuit on a different steppr motor.
>
> Absolutely two motors.  The part from Fiat is an assembly which includes
> both of them mounted in a bracket.  Very odd that you have an electrical
> fault on each motor.  Makes me wonder if you have a short somewhere which
> fried both motors.
>
> >2) Is there any inexpensive way to fix the problem ( other than a few
> >hundred for the motors and 8 hours mechanic time) I don't have enough
> >free time to do it myself.
>
> Live without A/C and heat maybe?  I'd take it to someone who really knows
> the 164 (and will guaranty their work) since your failure seems unusual.
> Anybody can replace the motors; few can diagnose the cause of the failure
> so it doesn't happen again (assuming it's not really just a mechanical
> failure).

Regards,
Stupid G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@domain.elided>
           *******Los Altos, California (office)*******