Re: re: bumpers

     Ben Higgins wrote:

     <The 71-74 has a large removable W-shaped cross-member that bolts to
     <the car and the bumpers bolt to the cross-member.

     and later ...

     <To make a long story short - my car has a '71-74 rear bumper and '76
     <front bumper.

     I want to add a slight correction to these statements. IN THE "USA"
     the '71-'72 bumpers are different from the '73-'74 (both front and
     rear) This difference is more than just the "bumper-ettes" that are
     outwardly visible. Behind to scenes, the mounting methods are quite
     different. I suspect this is do to tightening "safety" standards of
     the day (which ultimately led to the Big, Black, Baby, Bumpers in
     1975)

     Fronts:
     The W shape cross member (mentioned above) is off the '73-'74 vintage.
     the earlier style had a much "wimpy-er" mounting using no actual cross
     member, just a small, light support bar. (one for each side)

     Rears:
     Again the '71-'72 used a "lighter" method where the bumper basically
     just "hung" onto posts mounted at the rear. The '73-'74 bumper also
     used posts but bolted (not hung) onto these post. The location of the
     posts are different for each of the two styles.

     How these different types lend themselves to conversion onto later
     cars ... your guess is as good as mind.

     Tim Lentz
     Tampa, FL USA